Saturday, April 9, 2016

Everyday Thankfulness

What does it mean to be thankful?

I know that is a question that we ask children, especially around Thanksgiving.  We spend all month naming things that we are thankful for and then we rush into Christmas.  Now, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE CHRISTMAS and celebrating Jesus’ birth. But I want to go back to thanksgiving, giving thanks without ceasing.

I always try to do the social media challenge to name something every day that I am thankful for.  It is easy at first, but I always seem to stop halfway through!  Silly, huh?  I should have a million things on my list! Boy, I am guilty of not voicing my gratefulness! 

Just recently, I volunteered my time to helping a colleague with a project.  I stayed up really late working on this project.  I e-mailed it and felt great.  Then, I didn’t get a response.  So I texted to make sure it was delivered.  Still nothing.  Hmmm.  Maybe they are just busy.  Some days later, I received a message saying, “I got it.” PERIOD.  END OF MESSAGE. W-H-A-T!!

I rolled away from my computer, mumbling, vowing to never help this person again.  But, then.  God captured my heart.  I was reminded of the times that He has poured His gifts on me.  I am guilty of not taking the time to thank Him.  Where would I be if God said, “You know what Angela, I am done helping you because you didn’t say, ‘Thank you’?” I would not be alive!  I would not be anywhere close to where I am today. 

 It was so easy for me to shake my finger at the other person.  But I began to realize that I had a pride issue.  Ouch!  I didn’t capture how God used my gifts to bless the other person, even when they didn’t say, “Thank you!” After all, I need to ask myself, “Whose glory are you shining?” If it’s mine, we are in really deep trouble!  In truth, I want Jesus’ glory to shine through me!

So, in life’s everyday adventures, I seek what God wants me to learn to be like Him.  In Colossians 3:17, “And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”

Jesus, thanks for using me, in the midst of my temper tantrum, to shine Your grace and love!

Your thankful daughter,

Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment